Tuesday, March 4, 2008

THE MAGIC OF ART


(Click on pictures to enlarge)


"I've talked to a lot of women my age, and they say it all goes back to cutting out paper dolls. When women get together and cut out or color in, I notice an almost going-back-to-childhood feel in the atmosphere in the room, and it's an escape. That's what's magical and delightful - it's almost a return to something in your childhood."
**********
I wish I could remember the name of the person who wrote that quote, which I have included in my "Magic of Art" collages. The collages are actually meant to be viewed as one piece when the two pages are placed side by side, with the top collage on the left and the bottom collage on the right.
Although it's difficult to read most of the quotes even when you click on the pictures to enlarge them, I chose these collages to be the basis of my Art and Poetry blog's banner, designed by Mary at Isabella's Closet.
I have placed the quote "Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time" in a prominent spot at the top of the blog.
It is my statement of art, as it were. I thought I'd throw the "as it were in" for fun. My brother, Ron, always used that phrase and it made him sound so pretentious. I don't mean to be pretentious at all. In fact, I'm aiming for the opposite.
I don't consider myself an artist, because I don't draw. However, I do have an irresistible urge to cut and color and paste. I have a lot of art materials going to waste, and I hope that by opening this blog I will be encouraged, stimulated and even shamed into using them!
If you read my regular blog you will find the first entries to be drawn from posts on my "Celtic Lady" blog, but I am working on new projects, including my first altered book.
So, this is it: "Just Julie." I'm going to have fun and be a kid and try not to let the grown up, internal critic get in my way.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Being a kid is what it's all about! I love to sit with my scissors and snip and cut and paste and most of the time it turns out yukky but once in awhile I get one that says something to me. I think yours speak loud and clear and say "I'm beautiful!"

kathyann said...

Julie,artists come in many forms you do not have to be able to draw to be an artist.You have done some amazing work here and you are a talented lady! I do a variety of crafts and art work and so do my girls but we all have a different take on things! I have never been confident about my work but others have told me that they like what I do,so it is not always how we see our work but how others do.We have to learn not to be so critical of ourselves!Keep going and try to be more positive!Blessings from Kathyann and the girls